Your Time and Talents Are Welcome Here
It takes exceptional people to help others heal, and we need individuals like you on our volunteer teams at UChicago Medicine AdventHealth hospitals. Every effort is made to ensure our volunteers have a positive and rewarding experience, including giving you a personal uniform and an annual recognition event.
With volunteer opportunities available seven days a week during daytime and evening hours, we can match you with a position that meets our hospitals’ needs and your areas of interest. To get started, choose the hospital where you’d like to volunteer and complete an application today.
Volunteering at Our Hospitals
We are always accepting volunteers at UChicago Medicine AdventHealth Bolingbrook. Complete a volunteer application today to get started.
Your volunteer time and talents are greatly appreciated at UChicago Medicine AdventHealth GlenOaks. Complete a volunteer application today to get started.
You are more than welcome to volunteer at UChicago Medicine AdventHealth La Grange. Complete a volunteer application today to get started.
We always welcome volunteers at UChicago Medicine AdventHealth Hinsdale. Complete a volunteer application today to get started.
Answering Your Volunteering FAQs
Question: Who can volunteer at UChicago Medicine AdventHealth hospitals?Answer:People join our volunteer team because they enjoy caring for and helping others, are interested in healthcare or are looking for ways to give back to the community. We invite teens (ages 16 and 17), college students and adults to serve our community by volunteering at UChicago Medicine AdventHealth hospitals.
All UChicago Medicine AdventHealth volunteers must:
- Attend all required training and annual in-service sessions
- Be able to commit to a regular volunteering schedule
- Be at least 16 years old
- Be physically able to carry out volunteer duties
- Complete required health screenings
- Provide proof of immunizations and take an initial TB test
Volunteers must accrue a minimum of 50 hours of volunteer time before being eligible to request written proof of volunteering for any reason, including but not limited to court-ordered service and school program requirements.
Question: What kind of volunteer opportunities are available?Answer:Whether you're escorting patients to different areas of the hospital, greeting visitors or working behind the scenes in our business offices, your time will be well-spent as a volunteer here.
Our daily volunteer shifts are typically from 8 am to 12 pm, 12 to 4 pm, 4 to 6 pm or 6 to 8 pm (times may vary depending on our departments’ needs).
Our volunteer positions may vary at each hospital. In general, they include, but are not limited to:
- General: escorting and transporting patients throughout the hospital
- Clerical/office: assist a variety of departments with tasks like filing, answering phones, typing, etc.
- Emergency department: assist medical teams with non-medical tasks
- Gift shop: assist with retail duties and aiding customers
- Hospitality desk: greet and assist patients and guests at our main entrance
- Medical/surgical units: assist nursing teams with non-nursing tasks in the unit
- Music appreciation volunteer: if you are an instrumentalist, you may play music in our lobby to provide comfort and enjoyment to patients and visitors
- Surgical waiting room attendant: you may serve as the information liaison between our surgical team and the patient’s family
Question: How do I apply to volunteer?Answer:Volunteering at UChicago Medicine AdventHealth hospitals starts by filling out an application. Depending on your age, please complete an application for adults, college students or teens (16 to 17).